I quite like to cook, so I enjoy making these dishes when T is having his nap, but I understand that lots of people find cooking a chore! I try to maximise the number of dishes I can make at the same time, and freeze as much as I can to give myself more free time.
I made this dish, potato and spinach cakes and butternut squash "chips" all at the same time, and it took under an hour to do.
1 white fish fillet (cod or similar, but you could use salmon too), checked for bones.
1 white onion chopped
1 tbsp plain flour
1 large potato
1 medium carrot, chopped
1/2 stock cube
1 tbsp olive or rapeseed oil
Optional - spinach, washed and chopped, handful of peas (frozen)
1. Heat the oil in a sauce pan and add the chopped onion, potato and carrot, stir occasionally until the onion softens.
2. Add 1 tbsp of flour, this will be used to thicken the sauce.
3. Add the stock cube and water and bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer until the potato is almost cooked.
4. At this point, add the fish fillet to the saucepan, along with the broccoli. Stir to break up the fish.
5. Simmer for a further 5-10minutes until all the vegetables are cooked. It may be necessary to add a bit more water if the mixture becomes too dry.
6. Towards the end of the cooking, add the spinach and/or peas. They should not take long to cook.
7. If you need to get extra milk/formula into your child, why not try adding some at the end of cooking to give the sauce an extra bit of creaminess