Saturday 18 July 2015

Butternut Squash "Chips"

It's getting quite exciting with the blog now. People are approaching me to tell me that they have tried some of the recipes on the blog. Turkey burgers and the Jamie Oliver cookies have gone down especially well so far. 

T likes being able to feed himself, and these went down well, as they were the perfect size for him to hold. Broccoli used to be his absolute favourite (cue smug organic mummy face), but all of a sudden, he went off of it, and now Dog gets copious helpings at mealtimes as it is all thrown on the floor. 

The fabulous people in our local fruit and veg shop commented that I've been going there an awful lot lately. Ha! I think it's because so much ends up on the floor. (Again, I doubt dear Dog is complaining). We've recently tried buying a suction bowl to stop the free flow of food from highchair downwards, and while it seems to be working, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before T works out how to fling this along with everything else, over the side. 

Butternut squash "Chips"


In reality, you could make these "chips" out of any finger food you want: carrots and courgette sticks spring to mind, even sweet potato and aubergine as well, though I'd imagine you'd need more care cooking them, to prevent them turning to mush. 

I chopped one small butternut squash into fingers and steamed these for about 10minutes (can't tell you exactly I'm afraid!), just until they were soft enough to allow a knife to pierce them, then cooled them under some cold running water so they didn't continue to cook in their own heat. 

Alternatively, place on a non-stick baking tray, brush with olive oil and a little chopped rosemary and place in an oven at about 180C for 20-30mins (depending on how thick you've chopped them), and you and baby can enjoy them? 

In order to save time, (which I'm all for!), why not make this at the same time as my butternut squash and red lentil dish, or even at the same time as my Cheeky Courgette and butternut pasta? (Recipe to follow soon!)


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment